Friday, September 3, 2010

the hearse


Last night, as I was driving home, I looked in my rear-view mirror and a hearse was following me. Not the one above, but I couldn't take a picture last night as I was driving and all.

I had the weirdest feeling, because this hearse stayed right with me, all the way until I turned into my driveway. At that point, he kept on going, and I was so relieved that he was going to get someone else.

I just got to thinking that life is kinda like that. Even if we don't think about it all the time, there is a (metaphorical) hearse in our rear-view window. I don't think that death is imminent, or coming to get us at any moment, but shouldn't we live with the end of our life in mind?

When that hearse comes to pick you up, will you have done everything you wanted to do? What will your friends and family say about you? Will you have any regrets? You never know when that hearse will actually show up, and I want to have been happy with my life up to that point.

I'm just sayin'...
K

5 comments:

  1. good thoughts, k. I sometimes wonder how I would live life differently if I knew death was around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. We hear stories of people who completely change once they are given a terminal diagnosis - why don't we live with that kind of fervor, determination and sense of adventure all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually given that quite a bit of thot since my dad passed away 4 months ago...I actually don't think that I'd be too worried...my life is pretty full. I can't think of anything that I'd rush out to do if I only had a short time to live...I think I'd just want to savour the time w/my hubby since I probably wouldn't see him for awhile. Ya, that's abt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice reminder. Having lost some important people in my life, I try to live without regrets. I do however think about my hubby and kids if I weren't here. So I try to journal what I'd like them to know later. Just in case I'm not here to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great reminder to not take anything for granted.

    ReplyDelete