Thursday, July 29, 2010

so much to learn

So, I know I've mentioned that I teach piano to a 70-year-old Vietnamese man. Now I have to revise that statement, because he and his wife had their 60-year anniversary this past weekend.

60 YEARS!!!

I was floored. Anyway, I asked him about the party, and being married 60 years and such things. He told me that usually marriage is arranged much younger than in his case. He was 17 when he got married, and his wife was 16. So I did some quick mental math, and realized that he is 77.

Wow.

I just got to thinking about his life, and the things he's seen and been through.

I know he was a political prisoner at some point, he speaks pretty good english, and he and his wife have several kids. Like, 6, I think.

I'm still floored by being married for 60 years.

But, we still have lessons. He still wants to learn. I have to teach him, and help him discover how to play the things he wants to play without seeming disrespectful. It's a good learning experience for me. Today he said that he learned a lot, and he wants me to keep going in the same way, so he can keep learning.

I still have so much to learn.

He is inspiring to me.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment