Wednesday, August 11, 2010

scars

Since it is summer (no school), I've been reading a lot. I think the total since we got out at the end of May is 27 books. I have two going right now, so does that make a weird non-whole number? Like 28.3298714?

Anyway, I was reading a book the other day, and part of the plot involved the main character talking about a scar they had.

This got me to thinking about scars.

Also got me thinking about my scars. And where they came from.

I have a scar on my left pointer-finger, where I was playing "Yan Can Cook" with a meat cleaver cutting carrots. Ended with a scar, but I kept my finger.

I have a strange scar on the inside of my right foot where I was pushed into a sprinkler head. It ripped open my foot and when it "healed", the nerves were still rearranged so I couldn't swim all that summer. The water flowing over that place gave me the willies and I had to get OUT OF THE POOL. NOW!

Those are the major ones, but there are minor ones too, like the last knuckle on the right pointer finger. It is shaped funny because once when I was catching in a softball game, Dana Baldwin was pitching and I had to do a throw-down to second. I was a little nervous about getting that throw-down in time to get the runner out so I ended up with my right hand in the glove a split-second before the ball. It totally crushed my right index finger. It took me a year to grow a "normal" fingernail on that finger, and you can still tell today that my 2 fingernails and last knuckles look different.

I also have a couple tattoos, which I consider scars too. They are part of my life, and I guess if you look at them in the medical sense, they are scars with ink in them.

Here's the deal with my scars:

I would not give up one of them, no matter how small or how major they are. Every scar on my body comes from my life, and I love my life. Every scar or experience has taught me something, and every scar has made me the person I am today.

I don't want to be flawless or without scars, because that would mean I didn't live MY life. Every scar is a memory. Every scar is a reminder of the life I've lived and the experiences I've had.

Here's to claiming all of your scars.
K

2 comments:

  1. Definitely! We are going through a refining period right now. It hurts and kind of stinks at the moment and is sure to leave some experience scars. But I know when we get through it, I will be closer to God, a stronger, better person than before and I will look back and say it was worth it!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God must have made scars for a reason -- just look at the ones that Jesus had after He rose from the dead 3 days later. It is great when we can look back on our scars, time of hurt, and see how God has brought redemption.

    ReplyDelete