Monday, January 23, 2012

jazz

Right now, I'm sitting in my classroom, listening to Jazz. Well OK, I'm watching my 1st graders also, but we are talking about Jazz.

I get to answer questions about Jazz:

"Who started Jazz?"

"What kind of instruments play Jazz?"

"Why did people always dance when they heard Jazz?"

I get to teach little people about this quintessentially American art form, and we get to listen to it.

We all get to talk about how much fun it is to listen to Ella Fitzgerald sing "Old MacDonald Had  a Farm".

We get to learn what scat is.

I get to enjoy their gasps when I play "It's a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, and inevetiably one of them says, "That song is in ____________________" (insert name of movie here).

I have the best job in the world. :)
K

No comments:

Post a Comment