Thursday, April 1, 2010

the dance

This might be the funniest sight I've had while teaching - I so wish I had a picture, or video to show. I'm getting my little kids ready for their concert. Spring concert is going to be with 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade, so we are working on songs, and some clapping, and other assorted concert things.

One of the songs that 2nd grade is singing is "You Raise Me Up". Josh Groban didn't write this song, but he sang it and really made it "famous", if you could call it that. He made it well-known. Maybe that's a better way to say it.

Anyway, I pulled up a you tube clip of Josh Groban singing this song, so my 2nd graders could watch him sing it, in his amazing voice. We all crowded around my computer and watched this performance.

About halfway through the 4 minute clip, I heard a very slight snicker. Not really laughter, per se, but just someone who saw something and made a very small snorting sound...

So I turned around.

There, in the back of the room, totally engrossed in what they were doing, were about five 2nd grade boys. The only description I can apply to what they were doing is "interpretive dance". They were whirling around, arms overhead, making very large swooshing gestures in time to the music. Then one of them leaped over toward another one and grabbed him in a hug. Then more arm waving and swooshing gestures in time to the music.

I just watched them for a half a minute, then snickered myself. It was pretty cute to see them dancing and making up these "ballet-type" moves to this song. Once they were discovered, it all went downhill from there because they totally hammed-it-up for the attention.

But that first sight of their interpretive dancing to "You Raise Me Up" was priceless.

Just a little insight into how much fun I get to have in my "job". :)
K

4 comments:

  1. It is a few years since I got to work as a teacher, but staying home with my 5 year old I have been lucky to get to observe her play several times when she thought I didn't see her. It is priceless and I have wished more than once that I had a camera right then to film her with.
    Thank you for telling us about your experiences with your kids at school, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahaha! I love it! Too bad you didn't have a hidden camera- I would have loved to see that, and I bet their parents would have loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can TOTALLY picture this and it is hilarious to be sure.... you are right these kids ARE the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! Boys will be boys.

    ReplyDelete