Monday, August 22, 2011

laughter

This weekend, I laughed.

Not just laughed, but laughed until I cried, and couldn't breathe, and had tears streaming down my face.

The most memorable time was while listening to Car Talk - the NPR program featuring Tom and Ray Magliozzi answering questions about cars. But the guys like to laugh, and laugh they did. One of them was reading a "Washington Post Invitation-style thing", where readers were invited to propose ways to make modern life harder than it needs to be.

I don't remember all of them, but here's a couple:

Replace the computer mouse with two Etch-a-Sketch knobs.
Drive-on-the-left-side-of-the-road Thursday.
ATMs require a urine specimen.
All pills must be suppositories.
Bicycle-pedaled flush toilets.
Sell tires only in multiples of seven.
HOV use now requires three humans, a dog and a family of chickens.

Well.

The one about the ATM got me really laughing, but the one about the HOV lane really got the guys laughing. And then they got to laughing so hard that they couldn't even talk to each other. Not great news for a RADIO show.

Then one of them started making a high-pitched wheez-y noise as he gasped for breath. And then that noise got me laughing even harder.

Finally, I had to pull over to the side of the road, and turn off the radio just to be able to breathe again.

...

I'm chuckling right now, just remembering it.

Well I said all that to say this: It sure feels good to laugh. To laugh deep, and to laugh long, and sometimes to have a hard time stopping the laughter. My mom says that good laughter is like aerobics for your heart.
In that case, I am SO heart healthy...

Here's to good laughter.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment